Feb 6th 2020
Sorry for the long delay in updates but is going to update this website very soon
Please check out the 1/1 scale drones page
Please note these are not going to be sold in kit form,this is only because i am working my own and it will take me for ever to do. these models are for serious collectors only once complete these are the full size set of three drones Huey, Dewey and Louie - my representation of The Silent Running Drones.
If you wish to follow me on Instagram and to see regular updates of the drones and other projects/Destiny Models01 and at this time i am now start the finishing service and also i can finish them in primer only so you can enjoy painting them yourself.
This is a project that one day I knew I was going to do, and at this time I have no intention of making it into a kit, these will be the full finished product, sorry about that.
So here we go - I got all the info i could get and there is a fair bit on the net these day plus a nice blu ray as well. I began to draw this sucker up and I seemed to be fairly happy with this and then set out to make a master in MDF. I must admit I was very pleased with it, but once I had left it for a week or two I could see something wasn't right and then I began to change things so many times I thought - well I must have it right by now.
Finally I think I have it now, I cracked out the filler primer and set to work to get this MDF master nice and smooth ready for tooling up.
Now I did leave this project for a very long time as I had some other stuff to get on with as we all do. Although I kept looking at this model thinking something still isn't right, I realised it looked too narrow in the body section, So i got my saw out and cut the whole thing in half and added 40mm and stuck it back together which was alittle soul destroying as no-one likes going backwards but it needed to be done!
Im ready now to tool up, I began by using silcon rubber and making a fiberglass jacket this went well and then I began to lay up in fiberglass. And most of the parts came out very well but some not so good, a little distortion in the casting mainly the central body, so out came the plastic padding and sand paper, never mind, after many hours of sanding and filling i was very happy with the results so far.
MDF MASTER OF THE FULL SIZE DRONE BEFORE FILLER PRIMER.
Just a handfull of pictures of the drones in the moulding process.
Ok the feet and shins where one of the things that drove me mad and It took me so longed to get it right. I have to say I am so happy with these parts so far, once these moulds were made I set to work, 1st I mixed up some resin and talc and painted it into the moulds then 2nd mixed up resin with some chopped fibreglass strands and talc,then painted that into the mould again. Repeat the 2nd process and this for me came out just fine for these parts.
Ok then its 14th Jan 2020 and things have moved along. Last year i brought some new tools to get this job done and i do not wish to bang on about it but i am not in anyway a machinist. So this is all new to me. Right here we go then,the Drone arm has to be made from Aluminum/Mild Steel/Stainless Steel/Brass and some good old nuts and bolts. I guss i need info of the internet as we all do and draw up some plans but to be honest they did change alot LOL . The one thing i found on this process every thing is so labour intesive but i am very happy with the result so far.
Oh yes- the gears, I always knew this was going to be a little bit tricky but they have to be done. so what I did was to watch youtube and with a cup of tea, a pen and paper and tried to pick up some kind of idea on how to make these bad boys. And I have to tell the truth I was out of my depth,but after many hours of work I got through it and have some pretty pretty good parts.
Now then the piston,i aways new the manipulator arm was only going to be posable. And for me that was going to be pretty hard to do,but i had to try so one evening watching TV it came to me.... MAGNETS and you no what it work couldn't belive it work but it was alot of work. One other thing i did was to use some Nylon in the piston as well and this seem to do the job and so after that i turn my attention to the Brass valves on each of the piston. These suckers again where made from scratch so with a fair bit of machining and some many many many hours later thay came out ok.
Thusday 6th Feb This part i have been working if think i am going to call it the Docking Port. Anyway i decided to bore out some aluminium so the gripper can fit and as luck would have it i had some aluminium that was almost the right size that went into the internal bore,well happy. So i then needed to have some kind of end cap this was done by pouring some resin into some plastic cups,once set these parts where machine up so they would fit. I haven't work out how i am going to make the Gripper stay in there yet but i am thinking magnets...
Wed 4th March 2020 not much to say here but it's time to get some paint on these models. Becuse it so cold and nealy aways raining i had to spray in my workshop, no big deal but it did make a lot of mess but i got over it and cracked on. Now as for the colours i just used the same as i have been before, but for Drone 3 i need to try and mix up a new colour for him. Also i did change the colour on the feet,shins and power packs i have to admit i very happy with these parts.